ABACHA LOOT: WHEN THE OWNER BECOMES THE BEGGER

Watching my erudite and brilliant Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo exchanged agreement with  the Swiss government delegations on how the Abacha loot will be repatriated back to the country three days ago, I felt like crying. Perhaps, this has to do with my little knowledge of international politics and relations.

As a student of International Law & Diplomacy, one of the fundamental principles of States relations is the equality of all States; which means every State irrespective of size, resources, and population is a sovereign who command and enjoin similar status with other States.

It was therefore embarrassing to me to see the Swiss government demanding for the purpose for which our illegally fraudulently stolen wealth by Abacha will be used for, before the money can be returned.

Similarly, I cannot blamed the Swiss government nor the present Nigeria government for going that way; as  a lot of questions need to be raised and answered  on how the previously recovered loots were expended and for what projects.

Nevertheless, for the Swiss government to be demanding for how the loot will be expended and the purpose for which it will be used before they can facilitate the return of the remaining loots smack our pride of place and dignity in the international community. So on this note, rather than applauding the act, I cannot but bury my head in tears and shame for my dear country Nigeria. To me, the owner is nothing but a beggar now.

Be that as it may, my advice for the government of the day is to expend the money on concrete projects like road infrastructures that will be visible to this generation and perhaps generations yet unborn. It may not be too much to write on such road: THIS ROAD WAS CONSTRUCTED WITH THE RECOVERED ABACHA LOOT.

God bless my country! God bless Nigeria!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 - A YEAR OF DECISION

LIFE VOYAGE IS ROOTED IN BILLOWS

THE CITY OF LAGOS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,