LESS BUHARI GOES THE WAY OF JONATHAN

Nations rise and fall. Government comes and goes but society moves on. In short space of time, I have seen the emergence and disappearance of leaders; while so many factors could be attributed to the Waterloo of leaders, the common denominator has been the lose of touch by most leaders with the people that they are leading. 

For instance, in 2010, many Nigerians canvassed for the enthronement of erstwhile President Jonathan to be made substantive Acting President against the wishes of the power that be. In the same vein, people overwhelmingly voted for him in 2011 to become the first minority person to rise to the highest position of leadership in Nigeria. Sincerely, his popular quote of -


"In my early days in school,  I had no shoes,  no school bags.  I carried my books in my hands but never despaired;  no car to take me to school but I never despaired.  There were days I had only one meal but I never despaired.  I walked miles and crossed rivers to school every day but I never despaired.  Didn't have power,  didn't have generators,  studied with lanterns but I never despaired. 
In spite of these,  I finished secondary school,  attended the University of Port Harcourt,  and now hold a doctorate degree;"

was indeed a selling point bought into by all. This is because many Nigerians could relate with it because it tells the story of many Nigerians. However, it was surprising that this same man could become the jest of many Nigerians within the space of two years.

Same it is with the PMB at the All Progressives Congress presidential primary. In his words:

"I have always served Nigeria to the best of my ability. I have always tried to give more to the nation than it has given me. This is the principle of service that has guided my public life. Thus, I am not a rich person. I can’t give you a fistful of dollars or naira to purchase your support. Even if I could, I would not do so. The fate of this nation is not up for sale. What I will give you, and this nation is all of my strength, commitment, sweat and toil in the service of the people. What I can give you is my all."

My fear is for Buhari not to go the same way of President Jonathan. In the days preceding the 2015 General Elections, I have a handful of friends who are not politicians and have little to do with politics but who canvassed rigorously for PMB. The common slogan was Sai Baba; but the tune has begun to change. 

Without taken it away from PMB led-government, there has been pocket of progress in the area of fight against Boko Haram and anti-corruption crusade though many critical observers expect more in times of numbers of people who have been brought to book. 

However, with respect to economy, the story leaved much to be desired. Everybody I meet from business man to employees have one complain or the other. People are groaning seriously. As if this one is not enough, there has been acute fuel scarcity that has defiled almost all known wisdom. Electricity is not also encouraging.

It is in this regard, PMB must not turn a deaf ears to the critics as sooner of latter; the few fans he enjoyed today may soon turn back and becomes his greatest opposition. The way forward is for the government to go all out and make good its promises. 

This government needs to show direction. Right policies need to be put in place such that days of reverse gear policies are over. Otherwise, 2019 is around the corner with a lot pregnancy but the sun outside is still enough to dry the cloth. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 - A YEAR OF DECISION

LIFE VOYAGE IS ROOTED IN BILLOWS

CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE CHALLENGE OF DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA – A NEO-MARXIAN PERSPECTIVE