Tribute To A Brother

As I write this post, I feel like crying but I won't because you were great. You were great intellectually, you were great socially, you were great emotionally, you were great in all ramifications.

Like a dream, they told me you are no more, that I will no longer see you again till we meet in heaven, that all our shared dreams, aspirations, goals, and lofty plans have vanished into a thin air. That no new memories is to be created again with you.

Seriously, is that how people die? Is that how people fall to the ground to rise no more? So truly like the Wisest Solomon said: life is vanity upon vanity.

Today we are here, tomorrow we are no more. Like a flower we hardly blossom than fades away. What is in this world, if after all our travails and trials, ends with wind blowing?

A decade and half ago, our path crossed, to be separated no more until heartless death took you away last week. You were to me what a brother is. It is not uncommon when we meet strangers to introduce one another as 'my brother from another mother'.

How many things can I reflect on? Is it the intellectual prowess of yours, the never dying spirit, the uncommon confidence and courage? Or of your wits and wisdom? I remember burning the midnight candles with you for more than four years. Eating in the same pot and panwn, coining the messages that you used in wooing your wife together, doing menial jobs together for survival, and rising against all odds to make a mark  in our school days at Olabisi Onabanjo University. Many colleagues never knew we were friends, they thought we were brothers, and of course we were !

Are we not? Sharing the same bed with you, eating in the same pot, drinking from the same water bowl, reading and analyzing the same materials, arguing and analysing political and national issues everyday for more than four years, even some of close siblings didn't have same privilege to be so closed.

Everyday, we left home together for library, lectures, sometimes church. The hours we spent in prayers and spiritual exercise were some of my best spiritual moments. We were inspiration to hall mates and other close associates. Sometimes, two hours of prayer were too minute for us, most times, we have to cut our prayer time so as not to miss lectures. So many refreshing moments in the presence of the Lord. Our principle then was: pray as if everything depends on prayer, and read as if everything depends on reading.

Babatunde Stephen Segun, there are few friends who will look into my eyes and tell me the truth, and you rank among the topnotch in this regard. Through your wise counsel and advice, so many avoidable errors have been avoided.

I wish you will wait till the future, so that we can continue to weather the storms of life together, was hoping one day, we will take our place in destiny and shape the affairs of this nation together, but death won't allow. What an empty world!

If had know, would have hugged you for hours last December. I would have talked more with you, and catch enough glimpse of you. Could have compelled you to sleep at my place, perhaps share one more intimate moment with you, but alas, who know the future?

Maybe I should have talked more with you two weeks ago on phone. Perhaps, requested for a video call if only to see you in flesh and blood for the last time, maybe, maybe, I would have been consoled a bit.

Wish you will read this piece, and reflect on the days of sharing small bucket of water together in Ago Iwoye, of eating okro and eba together, and concortion rice. Wish you will read it.

As your best man, I came late to your wedding due to official reason, you never held it against me. That is you, easily forgiving and dependable. Who else will tell me to go and marry like you always do? Encourage me like you always do? Somebody please tell me!

Your vacuum despite our distance these days may be too large for anybody to fill. But God knows best, and he cannot be questioned, and if there is any hope I have, it is that you have gone to be with the Lord till we see in eternity.

Stepho, to ba de ajule orun, maje okun, maje ejola, oun ti won baje lajule orun ni ki o ma ba wonje. Sun re o!

Comments

  1. Very touching,when all struggles end without giving the opportunity for a second chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sincerely my brother, of what utility is life?

      Delete
  2. Very touching,when all struggles end without giving the opportunity for a second chance

    ReplyDelete
  3. May His Soul Rest in Peace.
    Sanmi thank you for making this write up out of no time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, wish I could do more, Stephen deserves more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching...this brought tears to my eyes..... May his soul rest in peace......We cant question God.hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 - A YEAR OF DECISION

LIFE VOYAGE IS ROOTED IN BILLOWS

THE CITY OF LAGOS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,