A CASE OF TWO DRIVERS: AVOID SELF DEFEAT!

A fortnight ago, I put up a vacancy advert for one of our clients who had a specific need for a driver. Several people applied but only two candidates turn up for our interview. Fortunately, both candidates were suitable for the job; so I was a bit finding it difficult whom I was to give the job. Towards the end, one of the drivers heard me discussing traveling the next day, so he volunteered to drive me down. It was an inter-state journey at little or no cost. I said no need, but he persisted. The rest is history, we traveled together. 

Ordinarily, I was tempted to give the volunteer the job, but I wanted to give both candidates a chance. Thus, I referred both of them to the clients, told both of them the time of the appointment, and promised to send the address to them. Unfortunately, I deleted the message of the guy who I didn't travel with on my phone. Thus, if I were to reach him, I've to go to the office which was a bit practically difficult for me, as I had to make another journey early on the morning of the next day.  
Despite these odds, I manage to come back early; mandated my brother to go to the office and get the second driver details so as to give him an equal chance with the one that traveled with me to Ibadan. Having gotten his details, I called him severally, he did not pick. Send him the meeting point of the client in case he was not with his phone. As I write now, the guy is yet to reciprocate my good gestures. 
My simple inclination, why he failed to turn up, is because he gave up too easily because he heard when the other guy was volunteering to take me to my destination. While I do applaud the smartness of the guy who drove with me and his seemly dedication to work, I felt sorry for the other guy that he gave up too quickly because he equally stands an equal chance with the other guy as the client would have picked his choice between them. How many of us gave up too quickly like him?
Friends, if you are going to go far in life, and particularly this year, you must build a winning spirit, a never die spirit. The spirit that always believes in the positive. That sees possibility in every impossibility. That strives and hold on no matter the seemly odds that steer ahead. The spirit that never gives up in the face of oppositions, denials, challenges, and storms of life. 
Perish those thoughts that things will be easier, that it will be a bed of roses, that the way up is smooth and devoid of undulating curves. Yes, you heard me right! Life since ages past has never been a bed of roses, and it may not start with you, perhaps not with succeeding generations. We can reduce the odds of life, but we cannot completely eradicate them. 
Unfortunately, many of us give up easily. We throw in the towel when we can still hang on to the tiny rope. Sometimes, we are closed to success when we quit. This year and every year, make perseverance your watchword. Perspire to acquire, pursue to possess your possession, stay glue in the journey of life.  
Have a blessed week!
Sanmi Adekola is a Social Commentator, a Public Speaker, Author, and Founder @ www.driveria.com.ng 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 - A YEAR OF DECISION

LIFE VOYAGE IS ROOTED IN BILLOWS

THE CITY OF LAGOS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,