LACK OF INTEGRITY COSTS HIM HIS BREAKTHROUGH

He was tall, dark, and handsome. He was good to look upon as a man like the Holy Scripture would put it. Everything about him seems to be perfect. He was too polished to be a commercial driver but the situation of the country has made him one. You can easily mistake his mien for an excellent character. There was no reason for me to doubt him but I still have to do my job. 
It was an evening, he and the personal mechanic to my client who doubles as a close relation drove the mini commercial bus to be used as Hire Purchase to my compound. As they parked the bus, they walked towards where I was standing and greeted me affectionately which I awesomely returned in the same proportion and perhaps more. My client walked in, and we exchanged pleasantries. 
I asked him for some questions, which he answered confidently. Just to assert my right, I blurted out jokingly that hopes he knows I have the power to determine whether he gets the vehicle or not. Can't remember whether he affirmed yes or no, but he was too sure to get it, and I know within me that I was merely bluffing as my client has told me his decision to give the bus to him despite my initial recommendation of someone else. 
What my company and I was to do was merely to 'fulfil all righteousness'. So I asked him to see me the next day in the office for his official documentation. He came, though he came late yet I've no serious issue with that based on his explanation even though I should have. Like a brother, I counselled him vigorously before giving him the form. I told of three things capable of causing a man downfall and how these three things show the true character of a man. 
Don't tell me you are eager to know these three things. Let me tell you, they are money, women and power. If these three things do not change you for good or bad, then you are a superhuman and you deserve applause. I gave him several examples of how these three things can influence him and we talked on other issues. As I talked, he was gentle, calm and cool-hearted. I could have asked him to forget about the form and take the key to the bus but what has to be done must be done. Pardon my tautology
The next day he was supposed to come with the form but he could not make it as one of his guarantors was unavailable. That day, the lawyer, the client and I waited to no avail. The lawyer and I told the client that on the basis of his failure to show up alone, he doesn't deserve to be given the bus again but the client insisted we gave him a second chance.  This we did. 
True, he got to the office before me the next day alongside his guarantors. I perused his form, called his attention to some anomalies which he quickly corrected before taking him to the lawyer's place. The lawyer interrogated him and his guarantors and discovered some gaffes yet we overlooked since my client said we should go ahead and some of those things were still pardonable. 
At the weekend, I was tired but I struggle to do his background check alongside his guarantors though it seems to be needless based on the recommendation of the person who recommended him.  I went alongside my cousin. As I drove to the street, people were everywhere like a typical rural place in Lagos. I used my eyes to take a glimpse of the street numbers until I got the number of the house he gave as his house address.  
On getting there, I saw two boys standing outside and was about asking about our person when a dog charged towards me. I was terrified a bit as I have cynophobia but I don't want to appear a coward, so I merely asked the boys to take care of the dog before I continued my conversation with them and of which one of them obliged and calmed the dog. I asked about my person, the boy said he does not live in the house. He motioned me to a woman beside the house who also confirmed he does not live in the house. To be sure I showed them his picture, then a man sitting beside said he lived like five houses from that house. That was how I walked there.  
At the house, I met two women outside who confirmed he lived there. They pointed his room to me. On getting to the door, I knocked and a female answered me who I've been told was the wife. It took like two minutes before she joined me outside the door of the room before I was able to ask about the whereabouts of her husband. She won't volunteer information easily until she was sure there was nothing at stake. She only did when she has been sure of our mission. This was not surprising to me, it is what we face every day as an individual and a team in our company: Driveria @ www.driveria.com.ng . 
You see my job and our job at Driveria are not easy. We understand the pivotal role that drivers play, so we've to cautiously go about it.  Our client safety is paramount and primary. 
Having been satisfied he lived in the house though not the house number he put on the form, I took my leave but before I did I asked the women outside some information about him which they were reluctant to supply. They only answered the one they perceive to be innocuous. I'm not surprised too, as I've lived in a 'face me I face you' apartment before, but the only one they gave was useful.  He has been living in that house for about four years contrary to what he told me why I was having a discussion with him. Don't be in haste, I will tell you more about this in a jiffy. 
One of his guarantors lived on the same street but it was a bit far, so I've to pick my car where I parked it why my cousin looked for the given number. As I parked, I located the apartment and met a man and a woman outside most likely husband and wife. I greeted them like a typical Omoluabi before asking them about the person I'm looking for. I don't know why people fear to divulge information about their neighbour despite my innocuous look. I've to explain to them as usual that there was no qualm before they called on the son of the man. Without talking to us, the son went inside and came back like one minute that we should hold on. Like two minutes later, the guarantor came out, the way he appeared, and my observation when we entered his sitting room, he has just finished praying. He is a Muslim cleric according to him and sincerely I've no reason to doubt his claim till now. 
We talked generally and on the issue that brought us in a space of five minutes at the most.  Told him, I will be expecting him and the guy for the signing of the agreement the next day. As I was about leaving I told him about the discrepancy in the guy address but I said it could be a mistake though I needed to point that to him. He promised to ask him though after accompanied us to the frontage of the house. Lest I forget, we were asked to take something as hospitality and custom in Yoruba's land but I said it was not needed. 
I've opened my car like I was going truly but deep within me, my job in the house is yet to be completed. I needed to ask the neighbours some questions about him, I meant the guarantor. Being sure, he has entered, I went back. The only question I asked was useful, it was to ascertain whether he was the owner of the house or not as it was part of our requirements. Surprisingly, the neighbour said he was the son of the landlord contrary to his claim. That was not too a problem to me, a landlord son is also a landlord too by inheritance and could not crucify the guy too much on that as I failed to ask whether his father was still alive or not but I was hitherto surprised about the discrepancy. 
Truth be told, I have the mind we will still go ahead with the agreement but as I drove back home. I put two and one together, it failed to give me three. The guy has told me the cleric was his landlord, thus when the lawyer pointed out to me the other day that they were not living in the same house based on the address they gave, I defended him that most likely the cleric was his previous landlord since he told me he has just moved to a new apartment to avoid constant conflict between the wife and neighbours. This he said, when I asked him to pay our commission, unknowing to me he has fabricated the same story to my client when my client asked him to make some upfront payment for the hire purchase. Both my client and I have told him, he can start making payment when he starts working contrary to conventional practices and standards. 
I also discovered that the other guarantor he called his relative was not related to him at all. He was like a big brother to him at the motor park where he worked which to me was not a problem except that he lied about his status.
Based on my findings, I've decided to advise our client not to proceed with the agreement but my client was a bit objecting.
Moreso, I needed to give him a fair hearing so I asked him to come the next day. Unfortunately, I was not around. I traveled out of the State and my client was not available too. He and his guarantors who also doubled as witnesses signed the agreement. He was merely to get his copy and the bus key the next day after the client had signed but it was unfortunately not to be. 
The next day he got to the office before me. On my arrival, I confronted him with my facts. Perhaps, I should call them the truths, he could not deny but the ball was not in my court to decide whether he gets the bus despite his pleas to me that he did those things out of desperation to get the bus. 
My client came and I told him my findings in his presence based on utmost good faith principle.  The client asked him, and he could not deny it. I asked for the number of the referral and told him the summary of my findings and asked if he were in the shoe of the client will he go ahead with the agreement, he was speechless on phone. This I've to do since my client was still reluctant about refusing him the offer.  So I asked my client to go and ruminate about it if he still wants to go ahead or not. 
I understand the pain of my client, he bought the bus through personal money and bank loan. Covid-19 has affected his business, he needed to get the bus working to service the loan and also meet other obligation but the right thing has to be done. Before the guy left, I told him two things which I will like to tell you my dear reader too. One, what is yours will be yours, and what is not yours will never be yours no matter what you do. I wish you could remind me of the second one as I've forgotten. oH, I just remembered if you lie to get a job, there is a very good tendency that you will like to keep it. 
The Importance of Integrity in Organizational Leadership ...
You see that image up, I love it for two reasons. One, I love it because I love playing scrabble. Two, I love it because integrity pays in the long run. The other day I felt like crying for my dear country Nigeria when a man posted on Twitter that he was looking for a waiter or is it, manager. He mentioned all his criteria but painfully has to say that the ideal person must not possess too much appetite for stealing because he knows he or she will steal. It is unfortunate but that is the reality of our country and we must change it. It won't change overnight if you and I won't do anything about it. 
Today, many have business ideas and resources but they could not start since they are afraid it will be bankrupt due to stealing. A lot I've told me they would like to buy vehicles for commercial purposes but they are afraid of the drivers' fraudulent practices. As a company, we have heard our fingers burnt because of sharp practices by drivers. I've asked to short down a line of business because I don't want to be using peter's money to pay paul in an attempt to protect our company reputation with clients. More than five clients are begging us to manage their cars for hailing business, but we've to turn them down because people will not be upright in their dealings. Unfortunately, many drivers are begging us for the same offer. Lack of integrity is making it hard to do business in Nigeria.  
Perhaps, poverty would have drastically reduced in Nigeria if only you and I can be a little bit faithful in our daily dealings. 
Thank you for your time.  
Sanmi Adekola is a writer, author, social commentator and founder at www.driveria.com.ng 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 - A YEAR OF DECISION

LIFE VOYAGE IS ROOTED IN BILLOWS

THE CITY OF LAGOS by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie,